Friday, January 1, 2021

"Moving In" script, Scenes E and H

It's back to the girls' apartment, "several hours later."

FRANK AND SHIRLEY ARE WAITING, WATCHING LAWRENCE WELK.

(V.O.)
"Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful..."

FRANK TURNS OFF THE T.V.

FRANK
Best show on television.  If Laverne was here she'd be blowing bubbles.

This was changed to The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson for the episode, which I think is an improvement because that was associated with a specific time of night (11:30 if I recall correctly), which I don't think Lawrence Welk was.

The rest of the scene is basically the same, except that a redundancy was eliminated.  Scene E (and Act One) ends with Frank "firmly" saying, "Shirley, all Laverne's clothes are gone.  Where is she?"  Then Scene H (and Act Two) is set "moments later."  Frank says, "Laverne's clothes are gone.  Shirley, tell me where she is."

Scene H is mostly intact, but we lost the closing lines after "bingo":

SHIRLEY
Bingo!  And if you're rich...

FRANK
You go to the dry cleaners?

SHIRLEY
You've heard of this before.

Since I don't really care for this plot thread, I can take or leave either version of these two scenes that come roughly in the middle of the script.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...