Tuesday, December 29, 2020

"Moving In" script, Scene B

The scene that actually opens the filmed episode is set in the girls' bedroom.  The first page or so made it in, although it could be argued that Shirley is not "sleeping fitfully."

When Shirley assumes it'll be a nude wedding, she was supposed to say, "Laverne, I know this is California, but...," rather than more characteristically worry about the photo album.  And then when Laverne quotes David about the "piece of paper," this was omitted:

SHIRLEY
Oh, really, he says that?  Oh well, then why don't you just go blow your nose on your birth certificate.

LAVERNE
I can't.  It'll smear the date.  That's important.  Look, maybe someday we will be married, but David thinks it's better to live together first.

SHIRLEY
David, David, David.  (LAVERNE SPITS)

Note, there's no particular reason for her to spit in this version of the script, although she does brush her teeth on the episode.  The girls' "cow" conversation went on for a bit longer in the script:

LAVERNE
...And who are you calling a cow?

SHIRLEY
It's a metaphor.

LAVERNE
It's a big, fat dumb animal.

Shirley actually gives in a lot faster in the script than the aired episode about lying to Laverne's father.

The last page of the scene was left out:

LAVERNE
(SAD; SENTIMENTAL) It feels kinda weird.  You're the only roommate I've ever had.

SHIRLEY
I won't have anyone to buy Scooter Pies for.  To fight for bathroom time.

LAVERNE
And I won't have a roommate I can borrow a dress from.  (BEAT) At least, I hope not.  Naaaa.

SHIRLEY RUNS OUT OF THE BEDROOM TO GET LAVERNE'S PORTRAIT FROM THE LIVING ROOM.

SHIRLEY
(HANDS LAVERNE PICTURE) I want you to have this, Laverne...as sort of a going away gift.

LAVERNE
Oh, no, Shirl, I can't keep that.

SHIRLEY
Of course you can.  You can hang it in your apartment.

LAVERNE
I think I'd rather shoot it.

ON SHIRLEY'S REACTION, WE: 

DISSOLVE TO [Scene C]:


I feel like, while the aired scene is perfectly fine, we lost both funny and sentimental moments between the girls here, with an emphasis on their bond just as Laverne is moving in with MacGuffin, I mean David.  Also, I may be reading into this, but it seems like in both versions, more so visually onscreen, Shirley seems a little hostile to David, for whatever reason.  And, although it would've been hard to work out the timing, there's something about Shirley running in with the painting she did of Laverne that tickles me.

3 comments:

  1. I actually think there's a rich narrative vein there, the notion of Shirley disliking or resenting David for taking Laverne away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be that she just disapproves of Laverne "living in sin" and blames David, but I think she'd feel the same even if David had proposed marriage, see Sal M. The girls are definitely more comfortable with double weddings. Anyway, it would've been interesting to see that narrative vein explored, rather than poor Shirley having to lie to Frank. (And it's not even like Laverne is gone that long.)

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...