Thursday, November 26, 2020

"Not Quite South of the Border" script, Scene K

It's back to the girls' apartment, at night, for the tag.


EDNA
Oh did you get the pictures?  Let me see, let me see!

LAVERNE
This was our cottage.

FRANK
(TAKES PICTURE) It's got no wall.

SHIRLEY
Here's Dottie, our roommate.

EDNA
It's a bathroom door.

LAVERNE
That's how we want to remember her.

FRANK
(WITH SAME PICTURE) It's got no wall.

SHIRLEY
You two are so alike.

This cute little sequence with Laverne's folks was cut out, and the scene opens with Edna telling the girls that their luggage arrived.  I don't know how the girls would miss this in either version, unless they were so focused on their vacation photos.  Most of the last page of the scene made it through, the boys' outfits and all.  But in the episode, they ad-lib about the photos they took, and it's notable that McKean added a greeting specifically to Laverne, even though Shirley is standing right next to her.  So I'd say the tags are about equal.

I think for lovers of slapstick, this is probably a great episode, but I would've liked some of the dryer humor of the script to make it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...