Friday, September 25, 2020

"Dance Studio" script, Scene D

 It's back to the girls' apartment, later that day:


LAVERNE IS ON PHONE. SHIRLEY IS PACKING.

LAVERNE
(HANGS UP THE PHONE) He's not at the Pizza Bowl.  I'll check the hospital.

SHIRLEY
You really think they hurt him?

LAVERNE
Shins?

SHIRLEY
Carmine's poor little legs.  (GETTING CARRIED AWAY) I'll nurse him back to health if it's the last thing I ever do.  He'll walk again.

CARMINE BURSTS THROUGH THE DOOR WITH A STEERING WHEEL AROUND HIS NECK.

SHIRLEY
He's walking.  It's a miracle.

CARMINE STALKS THE GIRLS.

CARMINE
I'm walking 'cause they wrecked my car.

LAVERNE
(KIDDING) I like your necklace.

CARMINE
Very funny.  This could've been my leg wrapped around my neck.

LAVERNE
We were just tryin' to help.

CARMINE
All you did was mess up my last chance to ever get that dance studio.  I wanted to have my own business, to be somebody.  And you two wrecked it.  (LONG BEAT OF SILENCE)  I'm going to the studio and pack my stuff.  I'm takin' off.  I don't want to stay in a town where I'm a nobody.  And it would get awful lonely stickin' around here without any friends.  See ya around.

HE EXITS.  THE GIRLS STARE AT EACH OTHER FOR A BEAT AND DO BOO BOO FACES.

All that was kept of these two pages was some of Carmine's speech and the girls' boo boo faces.  The rest was rewritten, perhaps for the best.  Still, it's interesting to see DeMarco again going for a more absurd sort of humor.

3 comments:

  1. I love the physical comedy of this one and yet I like the quiet anger Carmine displays in the taped scene too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this is definitely one of my favorite Carmine episodes (not that I have many). DeMarco seems to have had a more absurd/outrageous sense of humor than the show usually displayed, which is saying something.

      Delete
    2. Same RE this being one of the best Carmine eps!

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...