Monday, January 24, 2022

"Why Did the Fireman...?", Scenes D, E, and H

We return to the "girls' apartment - an hour later."  This scene made it in intact and actually ended Act One with Laverne "reacting" to Squiggy telling her, "Laverne.  Randy's dead."  Onscreen, the commercial break comes at a happier time, the end of Scene C.

Act Two opens with "continuous action," and I think it was a good choice to not pause between Scenes D and E, especially since they're only five pages total.  In the script, Laverne "angrily goes back to ironing her dress.  Then she stops.  She looks afraid.  Then she shakes her head, and continues ironing with angry swipes.  A beat, then Shirley enters.  She's extremely upset."

For whatever reason, director Joel Zwick doesn't have Penny show anger after the boys leave, just fear and confusion.  Shirley may be very upset, but she is quiet when she returns.  Her use of "Vernie," when the script says "Laverne," is a sweet touch and I'm guessing one that Cindy suggested.

The next scene is still in the apartment, "the next morning."  The first part with Edna and Shirley talking about Laverne was aired, but there's actually a whole section with Laverne that was dropped:

LAVERNE ENTERS FROM THE BEDROOM HIDING A WELL WORN COPY OF "BRIDE" MAGAZINE.  SHE GOES TO SHIRLEY.

LAVERNE
Hey, Shirl.  Oh, hi Edna.

EDNA
Laverne, would you like me to fix you some breakfast, honey?

LAVERNE
I love when she calls me honey.  Nah, I'm not hungry.  I'm too excited to eat.

DURING THE FOLLOWING EDNA PUTS AWAY THE GROCERIES IN THE KITCHEN.

LAVERNE (CON'TD)
Hey Shirl, c'mere, I wanna show you something.  I was cleanin' out the closet and look what I found underneath your old pair of purple pedalpushers.  Whew, that's a mouthful.

SHE HOLDS UP MAGAZINE.

SHIRLEY
Oh, Bride Magazine.  Maybe you shouldn't be reading that right now.

LAVERNE
Gimme that and stop bein' so superstitious.  Look, I was thumbin' through here, and found this page you marked.  The one with all the great wedding gowns, which would look best on me.  You got such good taste.

LAVERNE HANDS THE MAGAZINE TO SHIRLEY, WHO LOOKS AT IT.

SIRLEY [sic]
Laverne... You'd look good in all of them.

LAVERNE
Yeah?  Thanks.  But I guess you can't tell from a picture.  We'll go shoppin'.  We'll pick one out together, okay?  Listen, at the wedding I figured Carmine would sing.  You know what song?  (SINGS) "DID YOU EVER SEE A DREAM WALKIN".  It's our song and you gave it to us.  Remember the first night I brought Randy home... you gave it to us.

SHIRLEY TRIES TO SMILE.

LAVERNE (CONT'D)
Shirl, it's gonna be a great wedding.  And guess what?  You are gonna be... my maid of honor.

SHIRLEY TURNS AWAY, FIGHTING BACK TEARS.

LAVERNE
Aw, look at you.  C'mon you're my best friend.  Who'd you think I'd ask?  Bertha Kratsky or Thunderthighs Thurman?

SHIRLEY TURNS BACK TO LAVERNE.

EDNA
Laverne, don't you think you should get a little rest.

SHIRLEY
Remember, if your health you want to keep, you should visit Mr. Sleep.

LAVERNE
I look tired?  Maybe I just need some makeup.

LAVERNE EXITS SINGING INTO THE BEDROOM.  EDNA CROSSES TO SHIRLEY AND GIVES HER A SMALL HUG.

Then Frank comes in and the rest of this scene is the same in both versions.

Thoughts:
  • It's interesting that the emotions were toned down, quieted, with performances and dialogue, in Scenes E and H.
  • The part with Laverne in denial, and Shirley and Edna so concerned for her, is just heartbreaking.
  • The thing of Laverne loving her "new mother" calling her "honey" is especially poignant here.
  • Laverne making little jokes, about the tongue-twister of "pair of purple pedalpushers" and the callback to Thunderthighs, just breaks my heart more.
  • And she wants to share her wedding excitement with her best friend, who was so happy for her at the fire station.
  • The "our song," gah!
  • I feel terrible for Laverne, but poor Shirley, too, trying not to cry.
  • Edna is watching this, not saying much, but trying to be motherly to both girls.
  • Is this section a loss?  I'm not sure.  I'm glad I've read it, that I now know that it exists, but, although I don't question the ability of Marshall, Williams, and Garrett to pull it off, it might've been too much, especially for the poor studio audience.

2 comments:

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...