Wednesday, July 21, 2021

"Steppin' Out," Scenes E, H, and J

Act Two opens in the "bedroom - a short time later":

LAVERNE, AT TOP SPEED, IS PUTTING ON HER OUTFIT.  SHIRLEY STARTS LOOKING THROUGH HER DRAWERS FOR A SCARF, TOSSING THINGS OUT OF DRAWERS.

SHIRLEY
(UNDER HER BREATH) Scarf, scarf, scarf.

LAVERNE
(TYING ON SCARF) I need to borrow your scarf.

SHIRLEY
(CROSSES TO LAVERNE) My lucky scarf?

LAVERNE
Yeah, it goes with my outfit.

SHIRLEY
I've been going crazy looking for that.

LAVERNE    
It was in my drawer.

SHIRLEY
What's my lucky scarf doin' in your drawer?

LAVERNE
(SARCASTIC) I don't know.  Maybe it got sad and lonely and tired of being lucky, so it just trotted over to visit my unlucky scarves.

SHIRLEY
Suppose, just suppose, that I planned to wear that scarf tonight?

THEY AD LIB ABOUT SCARF.  SHIRLEY GRABS AT THE SCARF AND THEY WRESTLE FOR POSSESSION A FEW BEATS.  SUDDENLY THE SCARF RIPS DOWN THE MIDDLE.  THE GIRLS REACT AND MAKE BOO-BOO FACES.

LAVERNE
I'm sorry.

SHIRLEY
Now both of us got bare necks.

THEY LOOK SAD FOR A BEAT.

That all got dumped and we start the scene onscreen with the girls talking about the pearls.

Scene H is in the living room, with "continuous action."  The possessions in the girls' purses are somewhat different onscreen than in the script, but this is minor.  Also, in the script, there was more trouble getting the tape off Shirley's hand after she removes Laverne's lint, and Shirley lost a little nail polish in the process.

In the script, Laverne says they'll pose in a "sexy" way, while onscreen Shirley says they'll look "alluring."

In case you're curious, Squiggy's line about the little kids looking cute with their clothes off was not in the script.

After Roy asks offscreen, "All set to go?", the script has "the girls react for a long beat," and then Laverne says, "Give us five minutes."

Scene J is almost identical in both versions.  The only difference I can spot is the girls taking their scarves off at the end.  Scarves are definitely more significant in the script than onscreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...