Monday, July 19, 2021

"Steppin' Out," Scenes A and B

On September 21, 1976, four and a half months before "Steppin' Out" aired, its Rev. Shooting Script was submitted.  I have a reprint, so the autographs below are just from a photocopy, but here you go.
 


We start in the "girls' living room - early evening":

CARMINE AND FRANK ARE IN THE KITCHEN, FIXING THE DUMBWAITER.  FRANK IS HOLDING CARMINE AROUND THE WAIST, AS CARMINE REACHES UP TUGGING AT THE ROPES INSIDE THE SHAFT.

Onscreen, we get a little set-up with voiceovers, as the girls clock out after working late.  When we go to the apartment, Frank is holding Carmine by the feet, and yet the script has a line where Carmine says, "Just don't let go of my legs."  Also, it's always weird to me when they count the kitchen as "the living room."

They left out Carmine telling Rosie that washing her hands "should be a new experience" for her.

Laverne's line, "My little heart just went," after Carmine startles the girls, was added, I'm going to assume by Penny, because it sounds like very Laverne.  And Shirley's line, "Ex-husband's clothes, my elbow," after Carmine leaves for Lucille's, sounds like a Cindy contribution.

This was omitted, after Shirley says that "calm will be their watch word":

SHIRLEY
Confidence first.  First we'll clean up the breakfast dishes.  Then we'll get dressed.

THEY CROSS TO KITCHEN AND START CLEANING UP, CALMLY.

SHIRLEY
Remember out of sixty-five girls on the bottling line, they winked at us.

LAVERNE
Yeah... why did they do that?

SHIRLEY
They liked us.

LAVERNE
(DECIDES) Yeah.  Ever since we shortened our smocks things have been picking up.

SHIRLEY
I've got a feeling about these guys.  I think they're the ones.

LAVERNE
You mean tonight we're gonna...

SHIRLEY
No.  We're not gonna...

LAVERNE
Oh.

SHIRLEY
Tonight will be for the whole shootin' match.  Happily ever after.  I see a double wedding, with flower girls, altar boys, a little ring bearer, Pat Boone singing "April Love".

LAVERNE
Shirl!!  Let's wait and see if they buy us dinner first.

SHIRLEY
Tonight dinner, tomorrow a two-story colonial.  (STARTING BACK TO LIVING ROOM) The sky's the limit.  Just think about it, Laverne.  You, me and two really fabulous guys.

This set-up for the Hello Moment was replaced by nothing in particular, and there's not the same effect.

Since Scene B, which is set in the girls' bedroom, is linked by "continuous action," although it's now "night," we'll continue.

THE GIRLS ENTER.  SHIRLEY ENTERS FIRST.  LAVERNE THROWS DOWN HER POODLE SKIRT AND GOES TO THE CLOSET.

LAVERNE
I'm gonna sue them.  I'm gonna sue the cleaners.

SHIRLEY
Oh, don't be silly.

SHIRLEY EXITS TO THE BATHROOM.

LAVERNE
I got a blind poodle here.  How am I gonna look good tonight?  (PANICKING) What am I gonna wear?  What am I gonna wear?!!

SHIRLEY
Calmly.  Calmly.

Onscreen, we get stock footage of a fire, and when we go to the girls' bedroom, Shirley is already in the bathroom.  They did keep Laverne's panicky "What am I gonna wear" part.

This was cut out, as Laverne looks under the bed.

LAVERNE (CONT'D)
Boo Boo Kitty!  Here's a rhinestone for my poodle skirt.

SHIRLEY
From Boo Boo Kitty you'd take his one good eye?  You're that cruel?

LAVERNE
I'm sorry.

Thoughts:
  • I don't know if Shirley's plans for the date and beyond were cut for time or because the censors objected, but I like the contrast between the girls here.
  • Sixty-five girls on the bottling line seems like a lot.
  • Does Shirley think Pat Boone himself will sing at their wedding?  She is a dreamer!
  • BBK seems to hang out under beds more in the early days.  Also, at this point the cat is male.

5 comments:

  1. Love the contrast between realist! Laverne and Dreamer!Shirley here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wish they'd found the time for that contrast on air.

      Delete
    2. Same! Also hey, now Shirley could get Pat Boone to sing at her wedding, he's much cheaper.

      Delete
    3. Well, sure, now, but in the late '50s, he'd be out of her price range. Or even out of Leon and Roy's price range.

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...