Monday, March 8, 2021

"The Gymnast Show," Scene J

The last scene of this script is also set in Edgar's training room, half an hour later:

LAVERNE AND EDGAR ARE SITTING IN THE TRAINING ROOM.

LAVERNE
I'm sorry... I thought... well, know how after all that stuff about Louise, and Arthur gone with the hounds.

EDGAR
He walks them every night, promptly at eight.

LAVERNE
I guess I watch too much T.V.

This was left out, although they kept in Edgar's line, "Don't blame yourself.  I was a fool, a fool," as well as his explanation about Louise.  Then this was omitted:

LAVERNE
I should have known you would never kill anybody... but when Rhonda told me that story.

EDGAR
Well, at the time I was hurt, angry.  I blamed her for my leg.  I hope I haven't hurt you, Laverne.

The next half page was mostly kept, through Laverne's line about being tired of shaving the back of her neck.  But the last page was mostly left out:

EDGAR
I really like you, Laverne.  I hope I haven't ruined our friendship.  I realize now that I can't live in the past, but I would like you to be a part of my present.

LAVERNE
What are you talking about?  We came here to train for the circus, didn't we?

EDGAR SMILES.  LAVERNE TURNS AND HEADS FOR THE TRAPEZE.  AS SHE CROSSES, SHE HEARS EDGAR.

EDGAR
(CALLING OFF STAGE) Arthur, call Crossleys, I want 15 dozen roses delivered.... make that carnations.  (A BEAT)  They're cheaper you know...

ON LAVERNE'S SMILE, WE 
FADE OUT.

The filmed episode adds an unnecessary tag, where, after the "success" of Rhonda matching Edgar and Laverne, she fixes up Frank with the Bearded Lady.

As for this scene, a few notes:
  • The payoff with Arthur and the hounds isn't much, but there it is.
  • Laverne brings Rhonda's story back into it.
  • Some of Edgar's observations about living in the past were given to Laverne earlier in the filmed version.
  • This is very clearly a platonic relationship, despite the dozens of bouquets.
I would say the script is slightly better than what aired, maybe a C+ rather than a C, but it does have that basic problem that so much of Season Eight has: Laverne is now an idiot, especially when it comes to men.

3 comments:

  1. Yep, it's a generally mediocre episode, though the last bit about the carnations is charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite being a suspected killer, Edgar is far from the worst guy that Laverne gets involved with.

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...