Sunday, September 13, 2020

"Debutante Ball" script, Scene D

When the episode aired, after the commercial break it was back to the Pizza Bowl cellar, but in the script it was back to the Ballroom, "later that night."  The first page or so of Scene D is the Lenny-looking-for-his-bird sequence, including Laverne covering him with her skirt.  However, we missed out on the last two pages of the scene:

EVELYNE
(TO HOSTESS) Look at them.  He's no Count.  I doubt if he's even Polish.

LENNY
(GETTING UP) That proves how much you know.  I can prove I'm Polish.

LAVERNE
He's very Polish.

LENNY
I will now perform the dance of my ancestors.  (TO BAND) Maestro, the famous royal slap-dance.

LAVERNE
I don't know what you're talkin' about.

LENNY
Just follow me.  Me and Squiggy made this up last night.

THEY DO THE POLISH SLAP-DANCE.  THEY FINISH.

LENNY (CONT'D)
I rest my case.

EVELYN [sic]
You have no royal papers.  You're just a couple of peasants.

EVELYNE PATS LAVERNE ON THE CHEEK.

LAVERNE
(GRABBING EVELYNE'S HAND) How'd you like me to slap-dance you into the street?

LENNY GRABS LAVERNE.

LENNY
Oops.  This is our dance.

LAVERNE
Again?

SHE TURNS AND SLAPS HIM.

LENNY
Why don't we just sit this one out and wait for Shirley to bring the papers?

LAVERNE
Yeah.  If she isn't here soon, we're gonna be kicked out.

LENNY
Well, at least we had one dance.

LAVERNE STARTS TO SIT.  HESITATES BECAUSE OF HOOP.

LAVERNE
I'd rather stand.

I can see why this was cut, since it doesn't advance the plot, but it was potentially hilarious.  The line "Well, at least we had one dance" is so Lenny I can imagine McKean's delivery and facial expression.

5 comments:

  1. THERE WAS A DANCE SCENE AND THEY DELETED IT?! I am OUTRAGED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably going to have to be sedated when I get to the tag scene next week.

      Delete
    2. No specific spoilers but I can think of four notable things off the top of my head, only one of which is Lavenny. (It beats the "Monastery" tag all to heck.)

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...