Saturday, August 22, 2020

"That's Entertainment" script, Scene A

So, I found a website that sells PDFs of scripts for $10 each, and of the ten Laverne & Shirley scripts available, I decided on this one to start with, because it is such an odd episode, narratively and otherwise.  It is, as I noted in my review, the only L&S script written by either Etan McElroy or Larry Strawther, so I'm curious to see what their "revised final draft," from December 22, 1981 for an episode that would air two and a half months later, is like.

First off, I have to note that the list of sets matches neither the episode as aired nor the script.  It was supposed to be "Girls' Apartment" (presumably downstairs), "Girls' Bedroom," and "Ballroom."  How it ended up with the framework of Cowboy Bill's, I have no idea.

Scene A is, as broadcast, set in the downstairs of the Girls' Apartment, at "night," although I'd say "evening" is more accurate.  Frank is watching Carmine sing "It's Not Unusual," like "Tom Jones with squat thrusts and pelvic grinding."  Carmine does indeed do these movements, although it's mostly shown from the waist up.  The lyrics go on for almost two pages (of the six for this scene), which is thankfully cut short in the episode as aired.

The dialogue between Frank and Carmine is pretty much as we'd hear it.  Until we get to the part where Carmine talks about Frank taking him to a Dodgers game and comparing the L.A. team to the Brooklyn team.  This is the comparison in the script:

CARMINE
Oh yeah, what about when I took you to see Goldfinger" [their typo, not mine] and all you talked about is how they don't make movies like "Gone with the Wind."

FRANK
I'd like to see 007 make a dress outta drapes.

When asked to suggest a "nice song," Mr. DeFazio first goes with "Inka Dinka Doo" by Jimmy Durante.  Carmine says that nowadays people listen to songs that mean something.  So Frank asks what the lyrics are to the number one song that week.  Carmine reluctantly recites from "Hanky Panky" by Tommy James and the Shondells.  (That song hit the charts in 1966, if that's any help with chronology on this show.)

Mr. DeFazio wants Carmine to "waitress" since the girls aren't home.  (This sort of answers my question about why Carmine is waiting on tables in this episode.)  Then they argue about whether "Blue Moon" is a ballad or a rock & roll song.

They "exit arguing as we dissolve to" Scene B....

I don't expect any "Monastery" level changes from script to screen, but I'd say that for the most part this scene is smoother and snappier as aired, although I like the "drapes" line.

7 comments:

  1. "Tom Jones with squat thrusts and pelvic grinding." - Someone was into Carmine-as-sex-symbol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Carmine enters, dressed as a sexy male nurse in tight pants. He walks sexily, his shirt open to the waist." In Frank's fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actual quote from the script. Eddie was such a good sport.

      Delete
    2. Hey, if someone told me I was sexy and should wear tight pants, I'd be flattered - well, depending on the person who told me.

      Delete
    3. Sure if it was someone you were dating, but two random writers on a series you'd been doing for six years?

      Delete
    4. Exactly!

      EM really was a good sport.

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...